How do I keep, sell or transfer my shares?

Bereavement services

You will have several choices once you have shared all of the relevant documentation outlined in the ‘What do I need to do?’ guide and they have been registered. These all include a fee:

1) Sell

To sell your shares, you can use our user-friendly online Link Share Deal portal. Or you can call us and deal over the phone.

  1. Online Portal
    To log in to the portal, you will need your shareholder reference or investor code. This can be found on a recent share certificate (where applicable) or statement we may have sent. In each case, you’ll need to complete a CREST transfer form to complete your sales instruction.

  2. Phone
    To sell shares over the phone, please have the surname, date of birth, shareholder reference number (also known as investor code), full postcode of the current registered address, and the valid share certificate(s) (where applicable) attached to your loved one’s account.

    If more than one executor is entitled to the inherited shares you would like to sell, and an instruction is made, a single payment will be issued to all named executors detailed in the documentation provided. In this case, you will need to have already set up an executor’s bank account that names all beneficiaries. This allows payment through cheque or BACS to be transferred successfully.

    If you would like the funds to be received in an alternative name please send us a letter of authority signed by all named executors confirming how the sales proceeds should be paid

2) Transfer

Please download, complete and return the stock transfer form(s) (along with the original share certificates where applicable) if you’d like to transfer the shares from an account attached to the name(s) of the executor(s) into a single personal shareholding. This allows funds to be transferred directly to sole bank accounts.

Please be aware that if you choose not to transfer the shares, all future communications and payments will be addressed to 'the executors of the late shareholder', unless you tell us otherwise.

If shares are held electronically within a nominee service no share certificate would have been issued. To transfer the shares please contact our specialist team on 0800 181 4702.

Co-op Legal Services bereavement support

We’ll help you with your loved one’s shares but Co-op Legal Services can support with other practical steps, from stopping junk mail through to full estate administration and probate support.

Find out more...

Further help