- Before you deal
- Acting on behalf of a shareholder
- After you deal
- Sales proceeds
- Update your personal details
- Using this website
- Limit Orders
- Share Certificates
After you deal
This timeline provides an indication of the earliest possible time that each part of the sale process may be completed.
- Day 1 – The sale is placed, you have entered into an agreement with Link Share dealing to sell your shares on the UK stock market.
- Day 1 to 2 – A contract note confirming the sale and pre-filled CREST Transfer form will be sent to you via first class post.
- Day 2 to 3 – Your contract note and CREST Transfer form should have arrived by post. By returning the signed form and your share certificates quickly, you’ll be able to receive the money from the sale at the earliest opportunity
- Day 3 – The sale of shares will be settled. If you have already sent your documents, you can now expect the sale proceeds to be transferred to you if you requested a electronic payment otherwise a cheque will be sent out the following day.
- Day 5 to 16 – Chaser letters will be sent to you if you have not sent in your documents.
- Day 11 – For shares sold in a company where Link is not the Registrar and if you have sent your documents, the sale will be settled on day 11. You can now expect the sale proceeds to be sent to you by cheque.
Please note that if we do not receive your documents by day 22, we have to buy back the shares. You will still be charged the trading commission, additional charges (duties and levies), as well as paying for any change in the share price.
If you have already traded your shares using the online or telephone service this cannot be cancelled.
Be sure that you have checked all the details carefully before you place a trade.
If you have placed a Limit order that has not yet reached the limit or trigger price then this can be cancelled by clicking on Login at the top of this page and following the online instructions.
Once you have started the sale of your share certificate(s) either online or via telephone, you will be sent a contract note and a pre-filled CREST Transfer form. A contract note sets out the title of the stock, the price, commission paid and any other costs. Keep this document safe as it will be needed for tax purposes.
If you would like to get started, you don’t need to wait for the post, simply login at www.linksharedeal.com and download the CREST Transfer form to complete.
You need to send your share certificate(s) with the signed CREST Transfer form to us to complete the sale process.
Link Group - Share Dealing
29 Wellington Street,
If you hold your shares in a corporate sponsored nominee then you will not have a share certificate and will not be required to produce one in order to trade with us. The nominee has to be held by Link Market Services.
If you sell shares, a cheque for the proceeds, less any applicable charges, will normally be issued within 3 business days after the trade provided we have received all the documentation we have requested from you. Otherwise we will issue the cheque 1 business day after we have received the required documentation. If you are selling shares in a non-Link Administered Company, this can take at least 10 days from your order being placed.
Sale proceed cheques will be made payable to the registered holder of the shares – where shares are held in joint names, the cheque will be payable to all named holders – and sent to the registered address shown on our records at the time your instructions are processed.
If you have only sold part of your shareholding a certificate for the balance will be sent you as within 10 – 14 working days once the trade has settled.
When we carry out a share trade or series of share trades, you may be referred for identification and address verification. We perform electronic checks to confirm the information provided/held on our records for you as the shareholder at the address registered on the shareholding. The results of the electronic checks determine if we need to write to you to request further documentary evidence.
Our share dealing service is regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and we must adhere to the applicable Laws/Regulations/Acts of Parliament to ensure that we “Know our Customer”. This is achieved by verifying your identify and address, as per your shareholding.
We are required to carry out these checks each time someone places a trade even if they have taken place before.
Your documents will be returned by the same method received
- Our share dealing service
- Executive and corporate dealing
- Dealing in UK stock
- Dealing in Irish stock
- Executor Dealing
- Terms and conditions
- Best Execution
Best execution policy
Find out more about our best execution policy.
Remember the price of shares can go down as well as up, and you are not guaranteed to get back the amount that you originally invested.